Requirements for Spouse/Civil Partner visa applicants
- Both spouses must be at least 18 years old;
- The spouses must know each other and have met before;
- The marriage or partnership must be officially registered and recognized in the UK;
- One of the spouses/partners must reside permanently in the UK;
- Both spouses/partners must intend to live together permanently;
- Both spouses/partners must be able to support themselves and their dependants fully financially and in terms of accommodation (rented or owned) without recourse to public funds;
- Sponsoring spouse/partner must meet minimum income requirements;
- The applicant must have an English language proficiency of at least A1 on the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR).
If the prospective spouse is in the United Kingdom on any visa valid for more than 6 months (other than visitor’s visas), he/she may marry or register a relationship with a British citizen without going on a Fiance visa. Once married, the spouse moves to a Spouse/Civil Partner visa without leaving the United Kingdom and acquires all the rights that an immigrant is entitled to under this visa.